The Interregional Body for Family Benefits (ORINT) was created in light of the regionalization of family benefits in Belgium, as of 1 January 2019, through the cooperation agreement of 30 May 2018 between the 4 entities: the Flemish Community, the Walloon Region, the Joint Community Commission (Brussels) and the German-speaking Community.
ORINT has taken the form of an ASBL (Association Sans But Lucratif – Non Profit Organization), the contract of association of which was published on 15 March 2019 in the appendices to the Moniteur belge (Belgian Official Journal).
The founding members of the ASBL are:
- Iriscare, a public interest organisation with its registered office at 71/2 Rue Belliard, 1040 Brussels.
- The Vlaams Agentschap voor de Uitbetaling van Toelagen in het kader van het Gezinsbeleid (Flemish Agency for the Payment of Benefits in the Framework of Family Policy), an external autonomous agency with legal personality, with its registered office at 9 Rue de Trèves, 1000 Brussels, hereinafter referred to as VUTG,
- The Agence pour une Vie de Qualité (Agency for Quality of Life) public interest organization, with its registerd office at21 Rue de la Rivelaine 21, 6061 Charleroi, hereinafter referred to as AViQ.
- The Ministry of the German-speaking Community, administrative authority, with registered office at 1 Gospertstraße, 4700 Eupen.
What we do
Despite the regionalization of family benefits as of 1 January 2019, the federated entities have decided to still manage certain aspects of the family benefits sector together. ORINT was set up to coordinate these joint projects.
- Managing the family benefits register of, the IT-application associated with the national register and the electronic data exchange
- Serving as the international liaison agency, dispatching international family benefits files between the federated entities (in accordance with the connecting factors).
- Managing late-FAMIFED (Agence fédérale pour les allocations familiales)’s archived files, both on paper and digital.
- Identifying children whose rights to family benefits are not being claimed in the Walloon Region and for the Joint Community Commission (Brussels): ‘non take up’.
- Mediating between the Flemish Community, the Walloon Region, the Joint Community Commission and the German-speaking Community concerning the connecting factors, managing past burdens, exchanging information regarding family benefits and practical arrangements for the transfer of competence between family benefits funds.
In 2019, Orint also took on tasks that late-FAMIFED (Agence fédérale pour les allocations familiales – Federal Agency for Family Allowances) had not been able to finish by 31 December 2018:
- The financial control of the federal family allowance funds with regard to 2018 (finished).
- All operations within the framework of the financial liquidation of late-FAMIFED after its abolition (unfinished).
- The processing of pending complaints, notices and enquiries of late-FAMIFED’s former mediation department as of 31 December 2018 (finished).
- The processing of pending social fraud files of late-FAMIFED’s form social fraud unit as of 31 December 2018 (finished).
- The processing of pending home inspection visits of late-FAMIFED’s former inspection service as of 31 December 2018 (finished).